The Telepathic Connection
By Penelope Smith
In this age of ecological emergency, more people are seeing the need to recognize their connection with all living beings. Communication between humans and animals has taken on a deeper meaning and urgency. We can learn so much from the animals about how to live in harmony and balance on the Earth. For animal lovers, direct telepathic communication boosts the understanding, joy and richness possible in relationships with their animal companions and all of life.
When we look at the roots of the word "telepathy," we find that it means "feeling across a distance." Telepathic communication involves the direct transmission of feelings, intentions, thoughts, mental images, emotions, impressions, sensations, and pure knowing. Animals obviously communicate through physical action and their own complex languages. They also communicate telepathically, both among each other and to humans. People receive the messages to the degree they are listening, can tune in, or are perceptive to them.
Children are born with the ability to communicate telepathically with their own and other species. Humans in this society are generally socialized to use verbal language as the accepted and "higher" mode of communication and discouraged from getting human or other species' thoughts and feelings directly. We are also conditioned to believe that animals are generally inferior to humans in their ability to think, feel, and make non-instinctual choices, so we learn to separate ourselves from mutual and equal communication with them.
The word ANIMAL comes from the Latin, ANIMA, which means life principle, breath, air, soul, living being. Recognition of the spiritual essence of animals and respecting them as fellow intelligent beings is vital to facilitate interspecies telepathic exchange. Animals are able to communicate with humans who are open to the telepathic connection. They get your intentions, emotions, images, or thoughts behind the words, even if the words themselves aren't totally understood.
I have communicated with animals all my life. Since 1971, I have successfully used with animals the same counseling techniques that help humans through traumas and problems. Over the years of listening and talking to thousands of animals and counseling them and their people, I have routinely seen upsets and problems resolve, negative behavior disappears, illnesses and injuries heal speedily, and warmth and communion between humans and animals blossom. For those who are skeptical and need physical proof of telepathic communication, these often-dramatic changes are evidence.
Although the ability to communicate telepathically usually is lost in childhood in our culture, where there is love for animals and willingness to re-learn, that ability can be revived. The rewards are mutual expansion and delight for human and non-human.
The first thing you can do to start on the road to direct communication with animals is to discard any condescending attitude that animals are lower, less evolved, or less intelligent beings. This kind of attitude blocks true communication with animals, just as it does with humans. Regard animals with respect, openness and as potential teachers, and this alone will enable you to observe them with a fresh light and open up a wellspring of information from them about who and how they are.
Another barrier that needs to be surmounted is invalidating your own potential to receive telepathic communication from animals. If you love animals you already "hear" what they say to some degree, even if you are not aware that you are doing it. Commonly, when I explain what animals are communicating, people exclaim, "I thought he was trying to say that" or "I kind of picked that up." Lack of recognizing the reality of that perception as it occurs causes people to miss out on continuing the conversation and developing their understanding and ability. Your animal friends can become frustrated at your lack of understanding their thoughts, emotions, and intentions when they directly communicate them to you, and so they have to resort to methods that you do understand, such as tearing up the furniture or peeing on the carpet.
You'll be amazed at what can happen if you accept the feeling, thought, emotion, picture, or impression that you get when you are quietly attentive to an animal and continue your communication from there.
POINTERS TO ENHANCE INTERSPECIES TELEPATHIC COMMUNICATION
1. More than any other factor, your attitude toward animals influences how receptive you are to their communication and how willing they are to communicate to you.
Respect and revere animals as fellow beings - different in physical form than you but of the same spiritual essence and potential. If you approach animals with condescension, thinking they are inferior in intelligence, awareness, or substandard in any way, you limit your ability to perceive and understand them as they truly are. As you increasingly see and treat them as fellow intelligent beings, you allow them to express themselves more deeply and fully to you, and your relationship develops, matures, elevates, and expands.
Focusing only on the biological aspect of an animal, while fascinating and wondrous in itself, can place you in the ruts of conventional notions and inhibit true seeing of the spiritual essence and wisdom behind the physical form.
Admiring an animal's spiritual qualities, such as sincerity, trust, love, devotion, appreciation, loyalty, empathy, kindness, honor, honesty, patience, integrity, humility, joy, unselfishness, wisdom... will help to transform your whole relationship, enhancing the two-way communication and understanding between you.
Be humble and receptive, and allow animals to teach you.
2. Believe in your own intuitive ability to give and receive telepathic communication. Don't invalidate your perception of impressions, images, or messages in any form.
3. Be ready, receptive, mentally quiet and alert. If your mind is busy, full of thoughts and background static, you can't listen and receive.
To get to this state may take considerable practice and changes in lifestyle. Avoid substances and environmental conditions that dull the mind or make it too agitated. Adopt habits that reduce stress and increase calmness, like balanced food, exercise and rest, yoga, meditation, spending quiet time with your animal friends and out in nature.
4. Cultivate flexibility - willingness to learn from all beings and to change your ideas. Watch for judgments and preconceptions that limit receptivity to what the animal is really communicating. Be open to surprises - the unexpected. Let go of conventional notions of human/animal communication.
Be ready for animals to communicate, and question them on any level - from what food they like, to what they can teach you to improve your life, to what they consider the most profound truths.
5. Be emotionally peaceful. Having an emotional investment in what animals say to you or how they should be can influence what you receive. If you require that animals like you or be affectionate before you can communicate with them, this can disturb them, block their true feelings or ideas or cloud your receptiveness to them.
In working with improving your two-way communication with animals, don't flood animals with emotion, whether it's love, fear, sadness or anger. If you are putting out strong emotion, you are generally not receptive to anything else, and you will get back only your own emotion or the animal's response to it.
6. Be alert and calm. Don't force the communication or try too hard. Notice your body posture and tension - leaning forward over the animal, straining forehead or facial muscles, breathing shallowly, tightening hands, manipulating or controlling the animal. Shift into the receptive mode. Lean back, open chest and hands, breathe slowly and deeply, relax, and listen.
7. Let communication assume its own form, whether it be feelings, images, impressions, thoughts, verbal messages, sounds, other sensations, or simply knowing. Get familiar with how you receive, so you recognize it and let it and other avenues open up.
Let the sense of meaning unfold by itself. Don't analyze, evaluate or criticize. Remain innocent and nonjudgmental. Accept what you get, and acknowledge the communication. If in doubt, relax, and ask again, but don't keep doubting and refusing to accept a communication impression, or you build your own walls.
Be willing to take risks - don't be afraid to acknowledge whatever communication you get. Don't worry about what other people will think or even what you will think!
8. Practice with a wide variety of animals in various situations. Step back from your normal routine and expectations, and be willing to learn and discover.